By Maria Wyke
This booklet explores the importance of Julius Caesar to diverse sessions, societies and folks from the 50s BC via to the twenty-first century.
- This interdisciplinary quantity explores the importance of Julius Caesar to diversified sessions, societies and people.
- Ranges over the fields of non secular, army, and political historical past, archaeology, structure and concrete making plans, the visible arts, and literary, movie, theatre and cultural studies.
- Examines representations of Caesar in Italy, France, Germany, Britain, and the USA in particular.
- Objects of research diversity from Caesar’s personal commentaries at the Gallic wars, via Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, and pictures of Caesar in Italian fascist pop culture, to modern cinema and present debates approximately American empire.
- Edited via a number one specialist at the reception of historic Rome.
- Includes unique contributions by means of overseas specialists on Caesar and his reception.
Read or Download Julius Caesar in Western Culture PDF
Similar Ancient Classical books
Within the twenty-one poems of the Heroides, Ovid gave voice to the heroines and heroes of epic and fantasy. those deeply relocating literary epistles display the happiness and torment of affection, because the writers inform in their ache at separation, forgiveness of infidelity or anger at betrayal. The trustworthy Penelope wonders on the suspiciously lengthy absence of Ulysses, whereas Dido bitterly reproaches Aeneas for too eagerly leaving her mattress to stick with his future, and Sappho—the in simple terms old determine portrayed here—describes her ardour for the cruelly rejecting Phaon.
Lately, China has produced a wealth of hominid fossils that shed new gentle at the process human evolution. This book--the first accomplished therapy of those fossil finds--offers a short description of chinese language paleoanthropology and files all significant chinese language websites. unique translations of Chinese-language fabrics and new analyses of diverse fossils are integrated.
This highbrow heritage examines the reception of Carl von Clausewitz's army theories in Britain and the USA. within the first accomplished examine of the literature, Christopher Bassford argues that the impression of Clausewitzian idea has been underestimated and he follows the path of Clausewitzian impact from pre-1873 Britain to 1945.
During this penetrating and provocative review of the present country of faith and its results on society at huge, Philip J. Lee criticizes conservatives and liberals alike as he strains gnostic motifs to the very roots of yank Protestantism. With references to a unprecedented spectrum of writings from assets as assorted as John Calvin, Martin Buber, Tom Wolfe, Margaret Atwood, and Emily Dickinson, he probes the consequences of gnostic pondering on quite a lot of concerns.
Additional info for Julius Caesar in Western Culture